joël Winteregg wrote:
For that problem, I think that hint would help me: "Either setup BTM to
bind to JNDI or provide an implementation of
org.hibernate.transaction.TransactionFactory that uses the purely
standalone/in-VM BTM" But that would be the second phase ;-)

I haven't looked closely enough to comment on the query problem but I can confirm that your assessment above is correct. JTATransaction has and always has had a dependency on JNDI. It's only been recently uncovered because a) we changed how/when the transaction was instantiated and b) it turns out some folks are using JTA services outside the container that don't bind to JNDI. If you want to use such a service, you're exactly right - also use a JNDI service or create a TransactionFactory/Transaction combo that doesn't need JNDI. This is trivial IMHO (though I haven't done it). And of course if you do this, please share :)

-Chris