Our (default) dependency on CGLIB is starting to cause problems due to other libraries using newer versions of ASM (3.x) then the released versions of CGLIB use (2.x). We have now been waiting about a year for a new CGLIB release to use these newer ASM APIs. With 3.3 being eminent, we need to rectify this situation.

First, I am going to make javassist the default bytecode provider starting with Hibernate 3.3 (http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-2506 ).

Next, we need to decide what to do with CGLIB moving forward. This seems to be a dead project at this point. From my recollection, the source control for CGLIB does in fact have support for ASM 3.x; so one option would be to do a build of it from HEAD. However, none of us are really bytecode gurus, so thats probably not the best option. The only other option I see is to simply deprecate the integration for CGLIB and recommend against its use. Any other options we should explore here?

Steve Ebersole

Project Lead
http://hibernate.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]