There have been various complaints that people can't upgrade to the
latest Hibernate ORM because they don't have a compatible version of
Hibernate Search.

Rejected 3 issues on JIRA as duplicates of:
https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HSEARCH-2296

We never guaranteed compatibility beyond the micro-range, still we
probably should do something about this as I hate rejecting issues.

Status reminder:
 - we're not ready to release a "Final" version of Hibernate Search
branch 5.6 because the Elasticsearch work isn't complete.
 - the changes needed to be compatible with Hibernate ORM 5.2 are
breaking, i.e. it won't work with Hibernate ORM 5.0 and 5.1 if I apply
them.
 - Hibernate Search 5.5 (the previous stable branch) works fine with
both ORM 5.0.x and 5.1.x.
 - Breaking compatibility with ORM 5.1 means to break compatibility
with WildFly 10 (unless they also upgrade or we start shipping
alternative ORM modules).

On top of this, Hibernate OGM was wishing to have an upgrade to ORM
5.1.x. I don't see how we can squeeze that in.

The only solution I see is that people will have to be patient and use
ORM 5.0 / 5.1 for now.

Better ideas?

I have a branch of Search which is making progress towards ORM 5.2
compatibility.. not fully complete but it's very clear already that we
can't keep compatibility open for a wider range of ORM versions. Feel
free to try ;)

Also related, the proposal here:
 - https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-10793

Thanks,