10251: Meanings of the word ummah in the Qur'aan

-----
(Go here for Reference & More Islamic Questions & Answers:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?vid=ISBN1861791542)
-----

Question:

Whilst reading the Qur'aan I have come across the word "ummah" several times
and I have the feeling that it has numerous meanings, not just one meaning. Is
this correct? How should we understand this word?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Ameen al-Shanqeeti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The word ummah is used in four senses in the Qur'aan:

1 _ The word ummah is used to mean a period of time, as in the aayahs
(interpretation of the meanings):

"And if We delay the torment for them till a determined term [ila ummatin
ma'doodah]"

[Hood 11:8]

"Then the man who was released (one of the two who were in prison), now at
length [ba'da ummatin] remembered"[Yoosuf 12:45]

2 _ It is used to mean a group of people, which is the usual usage, as in the
aayahs (interpretation of the meaning):

"he found there a group of men [ummatan min al-naas] watering (their
flocks)"[al-Qasas 28:23]

"And for every Ummah (community or nation) there is a Messenger"

[Yoonus 10:47]

"Mankind were one community [ummah]"[al-Baqarah 2:213]

and there are other similar aayahs.

3 _ The word ummah is used to refer to a man who is taken as a leader, as in
the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

"Verily, Ibraaheem (Abraham) was an Ummah (a leader having all the good
righteous qualities)"[al-Nahl 16:120]

4 _ The word ummah is used to mean a way or religion, as in the aayahs
(interpretation of the meanings):

"They say: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion
[ummah]"[al-Zukhruf 43:23]

"Truly, this, your Ummah [Sharee`ah or religion (Islamic Monotheism)] is one
religion"[al-Anbiyaa' 21:92]

and there are other similar aayahs.

Adwaa' al-Bayaan, 3/13.
-----
(Go here for Reference & More Islamic Questions & Answers:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?vid=ISBN1861791542)
-----

http://us.click.yahoo.com/4It09A/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/TXWolB/TM

Free download [Internet Explorer/Firefox]:
Hidayahnet Toolbar [no virus, adware, malware etc]
http://hidayahnet.ourtoolbar.com

**Boycott Israel**Support Palestine**

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of Hidayahnet unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from Hidayahnet, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".

Hidayahnet Toolbar [no virus, adware, malware etc]
http://hidayahnet.ourtoolbar.com

Recommended sites:
Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia  : http://www.abim.org.my
Jamaah Islah Malaysia          : http://www.jim.org.my