Who needs a Space Shuttle? Amazing pictures of Earth captured by one man,
a balloon and his compact camera. By: Tom Allen

*He used GPS tracking technology similar to an in-car sat-nav to follow its
progress - and an*

*attached radio transmitter to find it when it parachutes back to earth.*

*The photos taken by his device were so spectacular that Nasa has been in
touch to see how
*

*he achieved it. *

*Mr Harrison's budget of £500 might also offer inspiration to the new UK
Space Agency, which
*

*launches on April 1. Based in Swindon, with only one astronaut and a budget
one 50th the size
*

*of Nasa's, it will be looking for cut-price ways to reach for the sky.*

[image:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/25/article-1260323-08D8F304000005DC-322_306x537_popup.jpg]

*Ingenious: Robert Harrison with his creation, a camera enclosed in a
polystyrene box. He then used GPS
*

*tracking technology similar to an in-car sat-nav to follow its progress*

*Mr Harrison first got the idea to explore space after a failed attempt to
take aerial pictures of his
*

*house using a remote control helicopter.
*

*After investigating high-altitude weather balloons on the internet, he
launched his first mini
*

*spacecraft, named Icarus I, in October 2008. *

*It took dramatic shots that spanned 1,000 miles of the Earth's surface,
showing the curvature-of
*

*the earth. He has since sent a dozen capsules into space.
*

*'My family and friends thought I was a bit mad at first but they were
suitably impressed with the
*

*results,' said the married father of three from Highburton, West Yorkshire.

*

*'The pictures speak for themselves. People think this is something that
costs millions but it doesn't.' *

*Before launch, the camera is attached to a tiny computer programmed to
trigger a photo every
*

*five minutes.
*

*It is wrapped in loft insulation bought from a DIY store then placed in a
polystyrene box.
*

*When the balloon reaches the 22-mile-high mark it pops because the air
pressure is too weak to
*

*keep the helium inside. As the box falls a mini-parachute automatically
opens. Mr Harrison has
*

*recovered it from up to 50 miles away.*

[image:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/24/article-1260323-08DB2427000005DC-722_964x504.jpg]

*The unearthly beauty of this image taken high above the planet would make
Nasa proud. *

*But it didn't need millions of pounds of technology to capture. *

*Just a little British ingenuity that saw a standard digital camera taped to
a helium balloon and floated into the sky.*
 [image: Robert Harrison captured images of the Earth like this one using a
Canon Sure Shot camera fixed in a polystyrene box and attached to a helium
balloon]

*Stratospheric: Robert Harrison captured images of the Earth like this one
using a Canon Sure Shot camera fixed in a polystyrene
*

*box and attached to a helium balloon*
 [image: balloon in space]

*Achievement: Mr Harrison guided the balloon to a height of 22 miles above
the Earth's surface and was able to recover the
*

*camera as it parachuted back down to earth using a sat-nav device*

*--
~~~Whatever mountains stands in your path,
Whatever obstacle blocks your way,
Whatever difficulty immobilized you,
The prayer full of faith can remove it~~~.

~~~Thank you for being a part of my life,
whether you were a reason, a season or a lifetime.~~~

~~~fairlady.sha...@gmail.com~~~
~~~fairlady.sha...@yahoo.com~~~
**fairlady.sha...@gmail.com*

Kirim email ke