It still seems to vary by market ( many factors including licensure in some
states), and by organization based on my observations. But I believe that there
is certainly a trend toward certification. At my organization they require
certification for any consideration, and also education to meet CLIA.   But you
are likely to get many different opinions on your question.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC