Hi there,

This is me again with formalin issues. The health and safety officer of my institute keeps on in her crusade of eliminating formalin from the world. After your helpful emails, I convinced her that you do need formalin to fix samples, other approach would need to much setup IHC protocols. Then and with good intention at heart, she has suggested that, one possible solution to reduce formalin presence in the institute could be, once samples have been fixed in buffered formalin (10%) and embedded in wax, to substitute it by 70% ethanol until the sample is discharged. Has anybody tried anything similar? What do you think? Would it be possible to come back to formalin in case of necessity (let´s say we want to retrim fixed samples after they have been in ethanol 70% for 5 months… would you trust them for IHC? HE?).

Thanks again for your help

Julio