Full time position available in Pinehurst, NC
Job Title: Histology Technical Specialist
Supervised by: Asst. Director of Pathology
The Histology Technical Specialist coordinates and monitors the day-to-day
workflow of the histology area of pathology, serves as the first line resource
for daily operations and assists the Assistant Director of Laboratory for
Pathology with schedule management activities and provides technical - level
services in the area of expertise. Histotechnologist duties include practicing
clinical laboratory science in the specialty of histology to include
immunohistochemistry. May be required to perform other duties within the
pathology department as directed by the pathologist or assistant director of
Pathology. May include clerical duties or duties within the cytology area of
the laboratory depending on the availability of personnel. The Histology
Technical Specialist works with the Histology Technical supervisor and AD to
establish Histology department processes, and reviews, updates and writes
histology laboratory procedures to ensure the high quality of specimen
nsible for recognizing issues or problems that require referral to the
Pathologist. Maintains performance improvement activities within the
department and participates in quality improvement activities. Coordinates and
monitors daily activities of histology workflow; assists AD in activities that
may include interviewing, work allocation, orientation, training and competency
assessment, contributing to performance evaluations and motivating employees to
achieve peak performance. Demonstrates pro-active problem solving skills to
include identifying a problem and taking appropriate action; knows when to seek
guidance to complete troubleshooting protocol; communicates necessary
information to AD. Acts as a resource to customers, both within the department
and outside the department. Accepts responsibility for own development to
include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory
operation of the department or to permit flexible staffing assignments.
1. High School graduate or equivalent.
2. Graduated from accredited school of histotechnology or medical laboratory
3. Current MLT, MT, HT, or HTL certification, i.e., American Society of
1. Demonstrates the ability to coordinate multiple tasks with precision and
flexibility to provide accurate results within the minimum turnaround time
established by this laboratory.
2. Knowledge and skills related to laboratory computer information systems
and word processing is desirable.
3. Must be able to work within a framework of a team concept to accomplish
identified mission and goals.
4. Excellent verbal, written, and clerical skills
1. Ability to carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
2. Responsible for lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling objects involving
laboratory related equipment and supplies.
3. Able to withstand sufficient noise and interruptions to cause
distractions and stress.
4. Daily functions may include incidental exposure to vapors, fumes, moving
mechanical parts, chemical and biological hazards, patient contact,
needles/syringes, waste handling, and computer use.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client
and use keyword histology to find the posting and apply.
Thank you for reading,
Aimee M. Duddey, MLT(ASCP)
Assistant Director of Laboratory - Pathology
FH Moore Regional Hospital
Histonet mailing list