I'm glad to hear that the staff suggested the tracking of tasks.  If I had to
guess the items causing the most trouble are:
Poorly grossed specimens if someone other than a Histotech grosses - all of
which cause poor processing:  too big filling the entire cassette; too thick
squishing out the top and bottom causing waffling; not decalled long enough
needing extra long surface decal to cut.
Microtomes:  messed up knife holders with all sorts of dings and dents so the
blade doesn't clamp right causing thick & thin sections or chatter;  block
clamping head getting out of alignment or full of wax resulting in poor
sections.  Cruddy blades - just because it costs less doesn't make it a better
blade; knife marks from hitting staples that the grosser swore they took out.
Waterbath: too cold and getting wrinkles; too hot and sections poof into
non-existance.  Floaters from not cleaning the surface between blocks; floaters
from someone's skin cells because they don't like wearing gloves when
sectioning.
Supplies:  or lack of, it seems like there may still be supply chain issues.
Everyone's favorite:  clinicians calling asking why it's taking so long to get
results.  This week I had one tell me she got her flow results in a day and
Histo has had the specimens for two days - so what's the hold up?
Please share what items are troubling after the lists are compiled. It will be
interesting to see what they have to say.

Sincerely,

Paula Sicurello

  On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 1:39 PM, Samantha Golden via
Histonet<histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu> wrote:   Thanks for taking the time
to respond.

It was actually staff who suggested we see what tasks are being performed,
when, and how long. No punitive action is being taken. As I indicated, we, as
in the team, want to find the pain points. I do continually ask for ideas and
feedback; staff repeatedly tell me they cannot see any other way to do things.

I am on the bench daily and I know what the problems are. But like you said, I
want staff to feel involved in the discussion, and this was their idea.

Sent from my iPhone