From: John Sichi [mailto:jsi...@facebook.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:22 PM
To: hive-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Fwd: [howldev] Initial thoughts on authorization in howl

Begin forwarded message:

From: Pradeep Kamath <prade...@yahoo-inc.com<mailto:prade...@yahoo-inc.com>>
Date: July 27, 2010 4:38:42 PM PDT
To: <howl...@yahoogroups.com<mailto:howl...@yahoogroups.com>>

The initial thoughts on authorization in howl are to model authorization (for
DDL ops like create table/drop table/add partition etc) after hdfs permissions.
To be able to do this, we would like to extend createTable() to add the ability
to record a different group from the user's primary group and to record the
complete unix permissions on the table directory. Also, we would like to have a
way for partition directories to inherit permissions and group information
based on the table directory. To keep the metastore backward compatible for use
with hive, I propose having conf variables to achieve these objectives:
-          table.group.name<http://table.group.name> - value will indicate the
name of the unix group for the table directory. This will be used by
createTable() to perform a chgrp to the value provided. This property will
provide the user the ability to choose from one of the many unix groups he is
part of to associate with the table.
-          table.permissions - value will be of the form rwxrwxrwx to indicate
read-write-execute permissions on the table directory. This will be used by
createTable() to perform a chmod to the value provided. This will let the user
decide what permissions he wants on the table.
-          partitions.inherit.permissions - a value of true will indicate that
partitions inherit the group name and permissions of the table level directory.
This will be used by addPartition() to perform a chgrp and chmod to the values
as on the table directory.

I favor conf properties over API changes since the complete authorization
design for hive is not finalized yet. These properties can be
deprecated/removed when that is in place. These properties would also be useful
to some installation of vanilla hive since at least DFS level authorization can
now be achieved by hive without the user having to manually perform chgrp and
chmod operations on DFS.

I would like to hear from hive developers/committers whether this would be
acceptable for hive and also thoughts from others.

Pradeep

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional Change settings via the
Web<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/howldev/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJnZXE5ZHNwBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzYzNDIwNTA4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzI4MTk0MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNzdG5ncwRzdGltZQMxMjgwMjczOTQ2>
 (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily
Digest<mailto:howldev-dig...@yahoogroups.com?subject=email%20delivery:%20Digest>
 | Switch to Fully
Featured<mailto:howldev-fullfeatu...@yahoogroups.com?subject=change%20delivery%20format:%20Fully%20Featured>
Visit Your Group