Sura 4. An-Nisaa Section 6 (Y. Ali Translation)
34.     Men are the protectors and maintainers of women because Allah has given
the one more (strength) than the other and because they support them from
their means.  Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient and guard
in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard.  As to those
women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct admonish them
(first) (next) refuse to share their beds (and last) beat them (lightly);
but if they return to obedience seek not against them means (of annoyance):
for Allah is Most High Great (above you all).
35.     If ye fear a breach between them twain appoint (two) arbiters one from
his family and the other from hers; if they wish for peace Allah will cause
their reconciliation: for Allah hath full knowledge and is acquainted with
all things.
36.     Serve Allah and join not any partners with Him: and do good to parents
kinsfolk orphans those in need neighbors who are near neighbors who are
strangers the companion by your side the way-farer (ye meet) and what your
right hands possess: for Allah loveth not the arrogant the vainglorious;
37.     (Nor) those who are niggardly or enjoin niggardliness on others or hide
the bounties which Allah hath bestowed on them; for We have prepared for
those who resist faith a punishment that steeps them in contempt.
38.     (Nor) those who spend of their substance to be seen of men but have no
faith in Allah and the Last Day: if any take the Evil One for their
intimate what a dreadful intimate he is!
39.     And what burden were it on them if they had faith in Allah and in the
Last Day and they spent out of what Allah hath given them for sustenance?
For Allah hath full Knowledge of them.
40.     Allah is never unjust in the least degree: if there is any good (done)
He doubleth it and giveth from His own presence a great reward.
41.     How then if We brought from each people a witness and We brought thee
as a witness against these people!
42.     On that day those who reject faith and disobey the Apostle will wish
that the earth were made one with them: but never will they hide a single
fact from Allah!

Sura 4. An-Nisaa Section 6 (Y. Ali Commentary)
34:     c. 545. Qawwam: one who stands firm in another's business, protects his
interests, and looks after his affairs- or it may be, standing firm in his
own business, managing affairs, with a steady purpose. Cf. iv. 135.
c. 546. Or the sentence may be rendered: "and protect (the husband's
interests) in his absence, as Allah has protected them." If we take the
rendering as in the text, the meaning is: the good wife is obedient and
harmonious in her husband's presence, and in his absence guards his
reputation and property and her own virtue, as ordained by Allah. If we
take the rendering as in the note, we reach the same result in a different
way: the good wife, in her husband's absence, remembering how Allah has
given her a sheltered position, does everything to justify that position by
guarding her own virtue and his reputation and property.
c. 547. In case of family jars four steps are mentioned, to be taken in
that order: (1) perhaps verbal advice or admonition may be sufficient; (2)
if not, sex relations may be suspended; (3) if this is not sufficient, some
slight physical correction may be administered: but Imam Shafii considers
this inadvisable, though permissible, and all authorities are unanimous in
deprecating any sort of cruelty, even of the nagging kind, as mentioned in
the next clause; (4) if all this fails, a family council is recommended in
iv. 35 below.
c. 548. Temper, nagging, sarcasm, speaking at each other in other people's
presence, reverting to past faults which should be forgiven and
forgotten,-all this is forbidden. And the reason given is characteristic of
Islam. You must live all your life as in the presence of Allah, Who is high
above us, but Who watches over us. How petty and contemptible will our
little squabbles appear in His presence!
35:     c. 549. An excellent plan for settling family disputes, without too
much publicity or mud-throwing, or resort to the chicaneries of the law.
The Latin countries recognise this plan in their legal systems. It is a
pity that Muslims do not resort to it universally, as they should. The
arbiters from each family would know the idiosyncracies of both parties,
and would be able, with Allah's help to effect a real reconciliation.
36:     c. 550. The essence of Islam is to serve Allah and do good to your
fellow-creatures. This is wider and more comprehensive than "Love God and
love your neighbour". For it includes duties to animals as our
fellow-creatures, and emphasises practical service rather than sentiment.
c. 551. Neighbours who are near: that is, in local situation as well as
intimate relationships, just as neighbours who are strangers includes those
whom we do not know or who live away from us.
c. 552. The Companion by your side may be your intimate friends and
associates, just as the way-farer you meet may be a casual acquaintance on
your travels. This last is much wider than the "stranger within your gate."
c. 553. What your right hands possess: For the meaning of the phrase see n.
537 above.
c. 554. Real deeds of service and kindness proceed, not from showing off or
from a superior sort of condescension (cf. "White Man's Burden"), but from
a frank recognition of our own humility and the real claims, before Allah,
of all our fellow-creatures. For in our mutual needs we are equal before
Allah, or perhaps the best of us (as the world sees us) may be worse than
the worst of us (from the same point of view).
37:     c. 555. Arrogance is one reason why our deeds of love and kindness do
not thrive. Another is niggardliness or selfishness. Allah does not love
either the one or the other, for they both proceed from want of love of
Allah, or faith in Allah. Niggardly is the worldly wise man who not only
refuses to spend himself in service, but by example and precept prevents
others from doing so, as otherwise he would be made odious by comparison,
before his fellow-creatures. So he either makes a virtue of his caution, or
hides the gifts which have been given him-wealth, position, talent, etc.
c. 556. Note how the punishment fits the crime. The niggard holds other
people in contempt, and in doing so, becomes himself contemptible.
38:     c. 557. A fault opposed to niggardliness, and equally opposed to true
Charity, is to spend lavishly to be seen of men. It is mere hypocrisy:
there is no love in it, either for Allah or for man.
39:     c. 558. Sustenance: physical, intellectual, spiritual-everything
pertaining to life and growth. Our being is from Allah, and we must
therefore spend ourselves freely for Allah. How can it be a burden? It is
merely a response to the demand of our own healthy nature.
40:     c. 559. Any little good of our own comes from the purity of our heart.
Its results in the world are doubled and multiplied by Allah's grace and
mercy; but an even greater reward comes from Him: His good pleasure, which
brings us nearer to Him.
41:     c. 560. Each Prophet and Leader is a witness for his People and his
contemporaries-for those who accept Allah, and against those who reject Him.
42:     c. 561. Those who reject Allah's message will wish, when their eyes are
opened, that they were reduced to dust, for existence itself will be agony
to them. They might like to hide in the dust, but nothing is hidden from
Allah. All their past will stand out clear before Him.