"Masood Al-Benin: Born in France, Lived in London and Buried in Chechnya " Masood was
killed whilst injured in a Russian ambush near Shatoi.

The following article details a first hand account story of the Qoqaz correspondent
Masood killed 12th April 2000. May Allah accept him from amongst the Shuhadaa.

Our dear beloved brother, Masood was a personification of the verse:

"O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion (Islam), Allah
will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the
believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the Way of Allah, and never
afraid of the blame of the blamers. That is the grace of Allah which He bestows on
whom He wills. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures' needs, All-Knower."
[Quran 5:54]

Born and brought up in France by non Muslim parents, his mother was a blue eyed native
French women, his father a tall African man from Benin. Following his graduation in
mechanical engineering, he traveled to London where he continued his studies with a
master's degree in business studies. It was to be during his Masters degree that Allah
opened his heart to Islam. He had a great keenness to learn and play an active role in
Islamic related work. He used to be known for his Islamic dress, which rapidly became
his trademark, even at his place of work.

Upon hearing a lecture on the importance of Jihad and subsequently meeting
ex-Mujahideen veterans, Masood had become surprisingly alarmed of how the Muslims had
neglected the duty of Jihad, during a period whereby Muslims were being slaughtered in
large numbers across the globe. And so in a small way, he attempted to redress the
balance, and made an intention to travel to Afghanistan (with his brother Mu'adh),
whereby he could undergo military training.

Mu'adh recalls Masood saying:

"Every Muslim considers himself as balanced BUT the balance is set according to the
Prophet (SAS), so if the Prophet (SAS) has participated in (military) Jihad 27 times
in his life and we have not even done this action once. How then can we say we are
balanced and that we follow the way of the prophet (SAS)?"

A week prior to Masood's departure to the land of Afghanistan, He met his brother Abu
Azzam. Abu Azzam had made arrangements to travel to Chechnya via a corridor made
possible due to a lull in fighting (during the 1994-1996 conflict). Soon after
learning about Abu Azzam's plans, Masood and Mu'adh altered their travel arrangements
to accompany Abu Azzam to the land of Chechnya. Prior to the groups' departure, Abu
Azzam recalls Masood's comments with reference to the Masters degree in business
studies, which he had recently completed:

"I have spent the last year or so studying business, but now I am going to commence my
business career by performing business with Allah, Insha-Allah! For Allah says in the
Quran: O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a business commerce that will save you
from a painful torment? That you believe in Allah and His messenger and that you
strive hard and fight in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives, that will
be better for you, if you but knew! [Quran 61:10-11]"

Our brother had accepted Islam for less than a year prior to the completion of his
ambition to travel to fight in the way of Allah, which he realized by migrating to
Chechnya. Before the brothers left for Chechnya they decided to sit together and
practice the Sunnah of choosing kunya's (nicknames) for one another. The kunya Masood
(meaning to be happy) was unanimously chosen for the brother as he was always seen to
be making his brothers smile, even when they were in the worst of moods.

Masood didn't like brothers calling him Al-Britaani, or Al-Francee (the Briton, the
Frenchman); Abu Azzam recalls Masood's words:

" When we do anything in life it should be according to the Qur'an and sunnah, not
according to the laws of the disbelievers or the ways of the disbelievers. Just
because I have a European passport it doesn't mean I am from this country. As the
Prophet (saw) said that "You are from the tribe of your father" so i will call myself
Masood Al-Benin. "

The group arrived in Chechnya as the (1994-1996) conflict was drawing to an end.
Despite the end of the (1994-1996) jihad, much work remained to be completed in
Chechnya - primarily in the field of Da'wa (Islamic education), establishing Shariah
courts and military training. After completing a number of specialized military
training courses, Masood was assigned a role in the Da'wa camp which involved the use
of his IT skills to setup and maintain a computer lab and to teach IT skills to the
brothers. Of the thirty Shariah courts that were formed up until 1998, Masood had
setup a computer for each one of them, hence documenting every case that would come
through.

In the ensuing few months, Masood's companion - Mu'adh decided to leave Chechnya.
Shortly after, Abu Azzam and Masood also decided to return home together. Literally
one hour prior to their expected departure, Sheikh Abu Umar (the Sheikh of the Foreign
Mujahideen in Chechnya) learnt of Masood's anticipated departure, he came to him and
advised him to remain with the brothers as his knowledge of IT was an essential
commodity to the Mujahideen. Abu Azzam comments on Masood's response:

" When Sheikh Abu Umar came to Masood and told him to stay, I can still recall
Masood's face lighting up into a big smile, as he had never really wanted to return to
the corrupt land of the disbelievers."

For the following years Masood remained in Chechnya, his memorization of Quran and
fluency in Arabic and his Emaan increased, he had continuously played an active and
vital role for the Mujahideen. Upon reaching an adequate level in spoken Arabic,
Masood refused to converse with the Arab brothers in English and French. Instead he
would state that English and French are languages that are primarily used by the
disbelievers and have less blessing then the language of the Quran and of the
inhabitants of paradise.

The fruit of his works and patience culminated in a mighty reward - His presence
during the commencement of the fiercest fighting in the history of the foreign
Mujahideen. After the conclusion of each military operation, Masood's duties included
video editing, adding titles, etc to the footage of the operations. The videos edited
by Masood are currently in circulation all over the world (Masood edited video footage
can be seen on the Qoqaz websites).

Our Mujahid brother Abu Adil says about him: "Mashallah, all the brothers knew him to
be an excellent brother in character, the effort he put in for the video and his
conduct in battle (brothers witnessed him killing many Russians during his last
operation). Alhamdullilah Allah had elevated him by bringing him from the streets of
France and London to be shaheed in the land of Jihad alongside the Mujahideen and as a
Mujahid."

During the Duba-Yurt operations during January-Febuary 2000; Masood had been injured
in his right leg by a mortar: Due to the severity of Masood's injuries and that of
four other brothers (compounded by the lack of Muslim doctors willing to go to the
lands of Jihad) it was necessary to transport the brothers out of Chechnya to seek
specialized medical attention. It was to be during this journey that our dear brothers
including Masood had obtained that which they had yearned, sacrificed and hoped for -
Martyrdom in the path of Allah. The injured brothers were transported in a truck. They
consisted of Masood, two other foreign Mujahideen and two Chechens. The truck was
stopped near Shatoi at a Russian checkpoint; the bribed Russian colonel that had been
supervising their passage out, and two brothers were seized from the cabin. The
remaining three injured brothers at the rear of the truck, including Masood, preferred
to die fighting than to fall into the hands of the cowards. Despite already being
seriously injured, they opened fire and mowed down numerous OMON troops before being
killed themselves by a hail of frenzied Russian fire.

And so, it was decreed by Allah that the final business transaction performed by our
business studies post graduate was to be his most profitable (Inshallah!)-Trading his
sole with Allah, as Allah informs us:

"Verily, Allah has purchased of the believers their lives and their properties; for
the price that theirs shall be paradise. They fight in Allah's cause, so they kill and
are killed. It is a contract (promise) in truth which is binding on him in the Torah
and the Gospel and the Quran. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah? Then
rejoice in the bargain which you have concluded. That is the supreme success." [Quran
9:111]

Coming Soon: Masood's Letter to Abu Azzam, Dated: February 2000

E-Mail a Message of Support to the friends of our Hero Masood Al-Benin on
[EMAIL PROTECTED]