IN THE BEGINNING

Before learning about Islam, my only real exposure to
any religion occurred during a hot summer day. I was
outside working in the yard when two shady looking
characters pulled up in a 1970's style black Cadillac.
I only remember parts of their fast talking rhetorical
nonsense. "The Lord wants this . . . The lord loves
you . . . The lord needs you to be saved right now. So
what is your name son?"

"Adam," I replied.

"Okay Adam, all you need to do is put your hand on
this bible and follow along with me" they continued.

I thought the situation seemed a little strange, but I
agreed to the ‘saving ceremony’ to get them out of my
yard. It worked. These men were far too busy to
explain what had just happened and they were off
searching for more desolate souls to save. What they
didn't realize and what I am thankful for now is that
their actions actually prevented me from going to
church. At that point in my life I was searching for
truth and was contemplating the idea of attending
church to find some answers. Instead the church came
to me and I still needed some answers. A couple of
years went by and I eventually fooled myself into
thinking that I was happy being agnostic.

I DISCOVER THE MOST IMPORTANT TRUTH OF ALL

About three years after the above incident I was
delivering Pizzas in a small town located in Northern
Michigan. It was 1:00 a.m. in the morning and there
was about two and a half feet of snow on the ground.
The sky was clear and the stars were glowing with a
magnificent splendor. Delivering pizzas is a lonely
process and the loneliness often directed my thoughts
to spiritual realms. On this particular delivery I was
trying to decide whether or not I believed in God. I
drove over a small hill and at the peak of it I could
see the night sky in what seemed like its entirety. At
that very moment, I witnessed a falling star (meteor).
It gave me the shivers one-second and an amazing
feeling of calmness the next second. The very first
thing that I thought was, ‘there really is a God.’ I
had resolved the most important issue of all issues.
However, the transition from knowing that a God exists
to knowing about the One and only God was still in
progress.

THE ONE AND ONLY GOD

My discovery and eventual acceptance of Islam happened
over a ten-month period. I met an American convert to
Islam in February of 1997. We worked together and
often discussed issues about religious and
non-religious topics. I was impressed with this
particular brother because he had a wonderful ability
to apply logic to many different situations. In
addition to this he was young, married and had a child
on the way. These are responsibilities that I had not
seriously considered and I respected him a great deal
for his actions. After about nine months, I became
more and more interested in Islam. I knew that I had
to take action but I was not sure which action to
take. My thought process was changing and my desire to
learn more increased.

In November of 1997 I was invited to the Mosque for an
open house. I did not attend the open house because of
a family obligation, however the brother was
compassionate and patient enough to invite me again
that very same week. After going to the Mosque and
speaking to several other brothers, I was to the point
that I knew accepting Islam was my destiny. The next
day I used my newly acquired prayer book and began
praying five time a day. Taking the shahadah (bearing
testimony) that God alone deserves to be worshipped
and Muhammad is His Messenger, is the not the final
step, it is only the first step. Today, my path to God
continues.

IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN READ THIS

Does it really make any sense to say that God is a man
or has a son made of human flesh? The answer is no.
And no dogma can convince you or myself that this is
true. The ultimate truth is Universal. It applies to
everyone at any point in time. Remember there is no
compulsion in religion as the Quran states, "Let there
be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clear
from error; whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah
hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold that never
breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things".
Quran 2-256 Consider Islam with an open heart and an
open mind. If you consider Islam to be true than
accept and practice it, if not at least respect it.

The only way that you can justify rejecting Islam is
to say that it is a false religion. Know one thing: if
Islam is a false religion, then so is the religion of
Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jacob, Joseph, John, Mary,
and yes, Jesus. Why? Simple: they all taught the same
concepts, namely the Oneness of God, and they all
worshipped God alone without making any association
between Him and others. They knew that their Creator
stood high above all of His creations. That concept
alone is the first step to correct guidance. There is
God alone, the Creator, then there are creations,
which no matter how numerous or powerful they may seem
to us, have no power at all, because all power is with
God.

IF YOU ARE A MUSLIM READ THIS

Remember it is our obligation to show as many people
as possible that Islam is a possibility for them. The
only way this can be done properly is to practice
Islam with no exceptions the way Prophet Muhammad
(SAS) taught it to us. Do as much as possible to
establish this religion and to perfect the faith that
is within your own heart. Allah (SWT) will hold you
accountable for all that you could have done, even if
you fall short. May Allah reward all of you for your
good deeds and honest efforts.

Adam Wilson