"RULES OF ENGAGEMENT" STEREOTYPES MUSLIMS
CAIR says Pentagon should not cooperate with films that defame Islam
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 4/11/2000) - CAIR today called on Secretary of Defense
William S. Cohen to amend his department's policy so that the Pentagon does
not associate itself with anti-Muslim stereotyping in the film industry.
That call came in response to many complaints CAIR received from concerned
Muslim moviegoers about the recently released Paramount Pictures film "Rules
of Engagement." (http://www.rulesmovie.com/) In the film, a Marine colonel
orders the massacre of 83 civilian protesters outside the American embassy
in Yemen. He is brought up on murder charges, but is ultimately acquitted.
In a letter to Secretary Cohen, CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad wrote:
"This film, which was produced with the cooperation of the Department of
Defense, seems to justify the killing of Muslim men, women and even
children. (In a recent screening of the film, audience members cheered and
laughed when the American troops opened fire on the crowd of demonstrators.)
It also offers a very negative and inaccurate image of Muslims and Islamic
beliefs. Many media outlets seem to agree with this assessment. "CNN movie
critic Paul Clinton called the film 'blatantly racist, using Arabs as
cartoon-cutout bad guys, and unrealistic in its depiction of a conflict in
the Middle East.'
(http://cnn.com/2000/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/07/rules.engagement/index.html)
"According to the Austin American-Statesman (4/7/2000): 'Seems the Yemenis
are upset about the U.S. presence in the Persian Gulf. That's all we know,
and director William Friedkin and screenwriter Stephen Gaghan seem to
believe that that's all we need to know, since, you know, we're talking
about Arabs here. The words 'terrorists' and 'jihad' are tossed in to
reinforce the stereotype.' "The Deseret News (4/9/2000) said the film shows
the Yemeni people as 'American-hating terrorists, including a scene that
shows a small child aiming a weapon at U.S. Marines.' "The Toronto Sun said,
'Little attempt is made to humanize Yemeni people. On screen...they are
stock villains, human cattle ready for herding and slaughter to demonstrate
the right and might of the U.S. policeman's role.' "Mr. Secretary, the
average moviegoer who sees this film could come away with the impression
that Muslims are a dirty and barbaric people who have a 'duty' to kill
Americans whenever possible. This is offensive in the extreme and will
inevitably have a negative impact on the lives of ordinary American Muslims
who are an integral part of this society. Also, the perception of the
Defense Department's association with anti-Muslim stereotyping does not
serve American interests in and relations with the Islamic world. "'Rules of
Engagement' is not the first film produced in cooperation with the Defense
Department that stereotyped Muslims and Arabs. In recent years we have seen
films such as 'True Lies' and 'Executive Decision' portray Muslims and Arabs
as irrational terrorists who only wish to kill innocent Americans. "While
movie producers have the right to produce films with bigoted and
stereotypical content, I believe it is inappropriate that our government and
American taxpayers participate in these productions through use of military
equipment, advisers and locations. "I would therefore respectfully request
that the Department of Defense amend its policies on cooperation with film
producers to mandate screening of requests for religious and ethnic
stereotyping. A multicultural civilian advisory committee could assist this
screening process." CAIR Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper added, "We
are not in favor of censorship. In fact, it is the movie industry that
engages in censorship every time it fails to show the reality of the Muslim
experience and instead offers a narrow and distorted view of Islam."
IMMEDIATE ACTIONS REQUESTED: (As always, be firm, but POLITE.) Contact
Paramount to express your concerns about anti-Muslim stereotyping in the
film industry. Contact: Ms. Sherry Lansing President Paramount Film and
Television Group 5555 Melrose Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90038 TEL: 323-956-5000
FAX: 323-862-8510 E-MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED] COPY TO:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] URL: http://www.paramount.com/

http://profiles.msn.com.