       IAP-Net: 20,000 Palestinians imprisoned in their own homes
       for the , fourth consecutive week
Date:
       Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:14:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:
       Islamic Association For Palestine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Assalamu'alaikum,

20,000 Palestinians imprisoned in their own homes  for the fourth
consecutive week

Al-Khalil (Hebron): Israeli-occupied West Bank:

For the fourth consecutive week, a hermetic curfew has been imposed
on more than 20,000 Palestinian civilians living in the al-Khalil's
old town, classified as (H-2) by the "Hebron protocol" reached by
Israel and the Palestinian Authority in 1996.

In practical terms, the curfew means  that everybody, including women
and children, must stay indoors, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

And in case a citizen ventures out, even for an emergency,  he or
she could shot dead on the spot "for violating the curfew" and
"obstructing the function of the Israeli Defense Force."

Indeed, several Palestinians, including children, had been shot dead
for merely stepping out of their houses during curfews.  The people
of al Khalil know too well what it means to get out of the home
during a curfew.

Al-Khalil is no strange to Israeli curfews. In 1994, following
the Ibrahimi Mosque massacre, when an American-Jewish settler known
as Baruch Goldstein murdered 29 Palestinian worshipers while praying
at the Mosque at dawn, the Israeli occupation authorities actually
 punished the victims  (the people of Hebron)  by imposing a 60-day
curfew, which ruined the town's economy and  caused  a collective
claustrophobia among the  town's 160,000 inhabitants.

"Look, the Jews don't understand the elementary principles of
justice…they always protect the murderer and punish the victim,"
said Husni Kubabji, an elderly citizen of the old town.

"We are waiting until the Almighty intervenes."

It is not clear why the 20,000 strong Palestinian inhabitants of
al-Khalil's old town are confined to their homes for that long.

The Israeli occupation authorities cite "security" as the main
reason for the keeping the  enduring curfew, a mantra whose
intonation justifies the sustained tormenting of the Palestinians.

"A curfew is a slow death….we are all facing overwhelming stress
as a result of this brutal behavior….I hope the world will force
Israel to treat us with some humanity," said Ahmed sharabati, a 50
year old shopkeeper, with frustration and despair clear in the
tone of his voice.

He adds with resignation, "What can we do….we just wait until they
lift the curfew…we don't know when they will."

According to Dr. Abdul Aziz Shuqir,  Head of the Princess Alya
hospital in Hebron, the situation in the old town is "extremely
dire."

"Look they are keeping 20,000 people inside their homes for 27
days now….even animals are treated as such….this is at a time when
Jewish settlers wander about freely in the city…looking for a stray
Arab to kill him."

Hashem Abul Nabi Natrshe, Head of the Hebron's Chamber of Commerce,
estimated that Hebron loses $3 million a day as a result of the
curfew and the siege being enforced on al-Khalil.

Natshe puts the total loss of the entire Palestinian economy at
$20 million a day "in addition to the high casualty figures we
sustain"

In addition,  Jewish settlers often go on the rampage in Hebron,
using very much the same rituals used by the Gestapo and  the Nazi
SS against Jews during WWII.

"They behave like wild mad dogs…they shoot at Arab  houses, windows,
they break the windshields of our car, they smash and vandalize
our property in full view of  Israeli soldiers who look on
nonchalantly …last week they re-enacted several Kristallnachts at
Tel Rumeida,  (the night of broken glass…referring to the acts of
vandalism by Nazi youths against Jewish property in Germany and
Austria in November, 1939)," said Dr. Taysir Zahdeh, who bore more
than his share of "this Ath'ab" or  "torment."

"They think they can break our will by adopting these Nazi-like
tactics against us…but they are mistaken…we will not leave our
homeland no matter what…we withstood 33 years of their holocaust
against us, and we can withstand more torment …but at the end they
will be consumed by their own evil." (end)