officer's legs pulled apart by tanks

Afghanistan has returned to a state of anarchy and
lawlessness that existed there between the fall of the
Communist Regime in 1992 and the emergence of the
Taliban in 1994. Different warlords now control
different provinces and there has been widespread
rape, looting, murder and theft from areas now
controlled by these warlords, such as in
Mazar-i-Sharif, which is controlled by the forces of
the Communist, General Dostum, who has a history of
human rights abuses. It is said that once Dostum had
one of his officer's legs pulled apart by tanks over a
minor disobedience. These are the people now
controlling Afghanistan with the help of American and
British allies. A news report from Jalalabad below
further underscores this.
JALALABAD, Afghanistan: Ordinary Afghans in Jalalabad
and the surrounding eastern province of Nangarhar feel
insecure under the new post-Taliban government of the
area, and most businesses are closed because of fear
of looting by the new local commanders.

"We are not willing to continue our business and trade
in such an insecure atmosphere. I have shifted all my
vehicles to my house," a showroom owner in the main
Jalalabad bazaar, Muhammad Aslam, told reporters. "We
fear that the commanders will loot our property. Most
commanders now included in the government have stolen
vehicles from relief agencies that were working in the
area," he said, adding that many guards refused to
work at night in the bazaar.

"The Taliban provided incredible security to the
people but that is now history," said a security guard
who pleaded not to be named. "Since the situation has
deteriorated so much, why should we continue our job
when we are unable to provide security to people's
property?"

Although the Taliban were criticised by the
international community for their harsh attitude
towards women, their withdrawal from Jalalabad and
other eastern areas has had very little impact on
women.

Most women seen in the bazaar are still wearing the
burqa, the head-to-toe veil which has only a small
opening for the eyes. However, a few women were in the
markets wearing only shawls.

"People feel insecure for various reasons. They
believe that the newly established government may face
differences among its members. This fear is based on
concrete grounds and past experience," said a source
close to a former Afghan commander Halim Shah.

Haleem Shah and his brother Sohrab have been denied
any post in the new government. They had controlled
telecommunications and intelligence in Nangarhar
province before the arrival of the Taliban. Locals
feel that the two brothers are angry and they may
create serious problems for the new government.

According to one source, Haleem Shah has threatened
the Shura (council) to seize a position for himself
and his brother by force.

Some government sources admitted that the new
government was relying on inexperienced intelligence
personnel. About 40 per cent of personnel are under
the age of 17.

Meanwhile, some locals said that a sizable number of
Arab fighters were still hiding in the nearby
mountains. Six of them were recently killed. Some
locals have asked the new government not to take any
action against these Arabs as they are guests in the
area.