         UNDILAH PAS DAN BARISAN ALTERNATIF
American students abroad told to pretend to be
Canadians

STEVE GIEGERICH
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

As anti-war sentiment rises in other countries, U.S.
colleges are warning their students studying abroad to
avoid demonstrations, street corner debates on U.S.
foreign policy and clothes that identify them as
Americans.

But just to be on the safe side, some students are
passing themselves off as Canadian.

In interviews over the past week, students and faculty
overseas said the anti-American sentiment they've
encountered has been directed at the Bush
administration — not at U.S. citizens.

"As far as being an American in Italy, I don't in any
way feel unsafe," said Christopher Bottoni, a junior
at Pennsylvania's Villanova University who is studying
in Milan.

Back home in New Jersey, Bottoni's father, Lou, is a
bit more apprehensive. "Am I worried?" he said.
"There's no question about it."

Like many parents with a child overseas, Bottoni stays
in touch with his son via cellphone.

That technology, along with e-mail, helps to alleviate
the fears of many parents with children overseas, said
Carla Slawson, vice-president of the Chicago-based
Institute for International Education of Students — a
consortium that customizes foreign studies programs
for over 125 top colleges and universities, including
Villanova's.

Since the start of the war, the institute has received
43 calls from the parents of the 1,200 students it now
has studying abroad. Slawson said the parents asked
primarily about the institute's evacuation plans.

As war became imminent, Worcester Polytechnic
Institute in Massachusetts directed faculty
representatives to severely restrict the activities of
the school's 142 students studying in Europe and
Australia.

Besides asking students to stay away from
demonstrations, the restrictions include cutbacks on
independent weekend travel, a curfew and instructions
to keep in constant contact with family and friends by
cellphone and e-mail. The U.S. State Department also
has issued a general warning to all Americans abroad.

"I don't know if we can protect them, but we can make
sure that everything is in place to the best of our
ability to make sure they're safe and accounted for,"
said Natalie Mello, Worcester's director of global
operations.

"But to be realistic, I can't be sure everybody is
safe, even in Worcester."

While the rules enacted by the College of St. Benedict
and St. John's University weren't quite as strict, the
combined Minnesota schools did suggest another tactic
to avoid becoming the target of anti-American rhetoric
— one favoured for decades by U.S. students hoping to
keep a low profile.

"We told them, if you're travelling or if you're out
somewhere for the weekend, tell someone you're
Canadian," said Stephen Burmeister-May, the director
of international education.

One of Nathan Brever's classmates did just that during
a trip through Spain. But the St. John's junior —
studying in London — declined to be part of the ruse.

"To be honest, I feel a little bad not standing up for
my nation," he said. "I am an American and I am proud
for what America stands for