And, you cannot redistribute your binaries (AFAIK), except for educational
purposes.  So I seem to remember from a VC 6 Student Edition.  I could be
mistaken, but that's the impression I recall.

And Alfred; thanks.

While the "most generally accepted" version is GCC 3.3.x at the moment, 3.4.x
is not unreasonable, especially as the remaining issues with 3.4.x is making
steady progress [3.4.x won't compile some things in some situations, which is
part of why adoption is slow -- then again, Linux mentality always seems to
adopt over time instead of all-at-once].

Sorry for almost stepping out of line -- but this does make me curious.
Have y'all determined just how the SDK is to be built?  Does everyone with
GCC have to cobble together their own Makefile?  Are you going to use
Autotools (autoconf, automake, autoheader, m4...)?  A shell script, perhaps?