Michael Shimmins wrote:
What determines the colour of text in the new VGUI console? As far as I can
tell, there's no way for it to determine whether the engine or the game DLL
is printing to it yet it variously prints in white or brown.

The Scheme Text files from memory determine the colour of things. If not then its generally stomped/hard coded in VGUI_TeamFortressViewPort.cpp/.h (my memory is starting to get a bit stretched here).

I think I phrased my question wrong here - I know how the colours are chosen, but what makes the console display "Base networking initialized" in white while "Creating fake network channel" is displayed in brown? At first I thought it was decided based on whether the client or server had requested the message be displayed, but some client strings (GL_VENDOR, etc.) are white while others are brown ("joystick not found"). It's the same with the server messages - what's different between the messages "'sv_cheats' changed to '1'" and "'sv_aim' changed to '0.0'" that warrants the change in colour?