If you get a crash, then something with your code is wrong.
The msg_type for HudMsg is 5 in both mods. Get rid
of the freaky code above UserMessageBegin and try
only to send the user message. If you still get a crash, then
your FilterClass has a wrong implementation. It should
hold player indeces between 1 and maxclients.

I don't want to fool you, I got the HudMsg working
in HL2MP. If you don't believe me, then don't write to me.

Greets
Ronny

I think your just incorrect because I just tried it on HL2:DM and got the
same thing,

"MESSAGE_END called with no active message" - Engine Error

And then the server crashes and dies with a lovely 0x00000040 read (the
server attempted to use a pointer to an object that wasn't defined).

Which, by the way could EASILY be resolved by simply adding a if(n ==
NULL)
return;