-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Patrick
Flanagan
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:42 PM
To: hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlcoders] Dedicated server for mods broken by new steam update

Ever since the new Steam update, my mod has been having problems with
dedicated servers.

Before the Steam update, I copied my mod into /SteamApps/username/source
dedicated server/ and then when I launched the Dedicated Server program
from within Steam, the mod would show up in the list of games that you
could run a dedicated server with.

After the Steam update, with no changes at all to the mod, the mod no
longer shows up in the dropdown of available games in the Dedicated
Server program and if I try to start it manually via the command line
then it doesn't work.

I tried testing this by using the updated SDK to create a new DM mod.
I did not change any of the files created by the DM mod except for the
game name in GameInfo.txt so I could tell it apart from the others. I
compiled the DM code to put in the /bin directory for that mod but did
not modify the code at all. I then copied this mod directory into
/SteamApps/username/source dedicated server/ like I had done before and
it showed up in the list of available games to run a dedicated server
for. When I ran the dedicated server using the unmodified DM mod, none
of the animations worked at all and whenever anyone was killed it would
just say that player "unconnected" suicided. If I ran a listen
(non-dedicated server) using this DM mod, then everything worked fine
and animations and death messages and all were working.

Something is broken in Source Dedicated Server since the new Steam
update. Can anyone from Valve comment on this?