I'll explain my situation.  I've just begun modding HL1, I own a copy
of VC++.NET but can't install it due to space requirements, so I'm
using Dev-C++/MinGW.  I am working off of botman's modified SDK 2.2
source, which for one thing means that there's no VGUI included.  By
following tutorials I've implemented a team selection menu which works
great.  I have had less success with trying to get the MOTD to show
up, though.  Here's the problem, I've added the CHudMOTD class back
in, done a DECLARE_MESSAGE(), hooked the message, copied the drawing
and message function from the earlier SDK, all of that.  I have also
got the message sending code in the game dll working, I have console
prints telling me that the MOTD is sent just fine.  But the
MsgFunc_MOTD() function is never reached, and neither is the Draw()
function.  I'm at my wits end because I've gone over every messaging
tutorial I can find, looked through the source, and everything looks
correct.  Any suggestions for me?  I've tried not having the team menu
show up on spawning, but that doesn't make any difference either.

Josh