From: "Jay Stelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:58 PM
Subject: RE: [hlcoders] (semi OT) 3d panoramas

You could emulate the envmap command with setang & screenshot (or jpeg)
plus you need to force fov 90 for a 6 shot cubemap:

fov 90
setang 0 0 0
screenshot
setang 0 90 0
screenshot
setang 0 180 0
screenshot
setang 0 270 0
screenshot
setang -90 0 0
screenshot
setang 90 0 0
screenshot

(this generates the cube faces in rt, bk, lf, ft, up, dn order
equivalent to envmap)

That will let you take envmaps at any resolution you can run the game.
The envmap command is basically the same as this, but it's using the
buildcubemap code which enforces some constraints (power of two output
and such) for various reasons.

Also, Chris Green made some high-res panoramas here at Valve while
working on lost coast.  Here's his explanation of how he did it:

Bind a key to take a jpeg screenshot
Bind keys of your choice to turn left and right and look up / down Set
the field of view down a bit Pause the game.
Pan from left to right in overlapping steps, taking a screenshot at each
step. If you want a multi row panorama, when you get to the end of
panning, look up a little and pan back.

Use a panorama creation program to stitch the resultant screen shots. If
you panned both horizontally and vertically, you will need to use
software which supports multi-row panoramas.

I used the program "autostitch"
(http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html) to join the
images together. This program requires no manual stitching at all. You
don't even have to tell it what order the shots are in.

I was able to make very high resolution panoramas, over 10K pixels wide.