Thanks for the suggestion, but, as you may have guessed, this has been
considered. ;)  Yet, creating an entire scripting engine isn't the goal of
EventScripts. There are lots of different scripting engines out there, and they
definitely have their place for administrators who understand coding.
EventScripts is trying to be the middle-ground between a structured/scoped
language and the console commands they know and love. As I mentioned below, ES
doesn't yet support looping and the like and may never do so--- it's not
intended to be a full-powered scripting language.

With EventScripts, we're trying to enhance the console commands so that even
everyday normal console/rcon commands and normal autoexec.cfg/server.cfg files
can take advantage of very simple logic and variable expansion. We don't need
everything a scripting language can do, we just want some basic enhancements to
the command console. Most of these console enhancements would be along the lines
Valve was already been moving, e.g. with "setinfo" and "incrementvar".

Yet, even in the case of a full blown scripting language, not having
InsertCommand() means that any scripts/commands that you wished to invoke via a
normal Valve cfg file would have the same ordering problem if they needed to
pass commands back to the server (e.g. exec, changelevel, kickid, etc). These
commands would execute *after* the current .cfg file was totally resolved and
not in-place. This wouldn't be intuitive and would likely cause problems! It
wouldn't be a problem if you didn't allow the console to launch scripts, but the
server console is a great place for invoking things like that (especially
remotely).

*** TO CLARIFY, this isn't a problem just for scripting engines! *** It's a
problem for ANY PLUGIN that uses console commands and needs to interact with the
console. Let's say I wrote a console command "mattie_exec" that took Con_Argv(1)
and passed it to exec with a different directory prefix (e.g. my mod's
directory).

// server.cfg
mattie_exec blah.cfg
exec load_plugins.cfg
// end of server.cfg

Now, the mattie_exec command, all it does is call engine->ServerCommand("exec
matties_mod\blah.cfg\n"). In this case, the console would execute like this:

1. (contents of server.cfg added to the queue around LevelInit())
2. mattie_exec runs (places "exec mattie_mod\blah.cfg" at end of queue)
3. exec load_plugins.cfg runs (all plugins activated, configured, etc)
4. exec mattie_mod\blah.cfg runs

You see that even though the mattie_exec command was placed in a certain order
in the cfg file, it's irrelevant. Any server commands those commands rely upon
cannot be activated until after the entire .cfg file has been processed. This
means that if the "load_plugins.cfg" relied upon any settings created in
blah.cfg, there's no way at all to get it to work short of bypassing the plugin
commands.

Admittedly, this is a simple example, but it underscores the issue outside of a
scripting context. Plugin console commands could be calling back to any number
of other console commands. We all have access to ServerCommand(), right? Well,
just like Valve, we need it's sister command in order to create proper console
commands. Sometimes we don't care about ordering, so ServerCommand() might be
appropriate, but many times ordering *will* be important. We truly need
ServerInsertCommand(), and I hope everyone can see that.

Thanks for your help and for reading this far,
-Mattie