On 12/2/05, Alfred Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We are working on a more extensive system to allow popular Mods to
> directly message their users. No ETA or hard feature set yet, but we are
> on it.

It would be easier to become more popular if people could update less
popular mods and get their news easier. Particularly new mods who may
have very quick update cycles or very significant functionality
improvements.

I recall their being fields in the liblist.gam file for d/l & homepage
urls, it would seem a simple option to hook them in to steam. This
would add little if any overhead to the steam servers and you'd still
have to get your mod noticed outside of steam, but once people had it
they could keep up to date more easily. Keeping all the clients in
synch is by far the most troublesome aspect of modding, people just
don't seem to want to seem to patch unless it's automated :/

Having said that I am looking at using Vapour to distribute our mod.
It does need a litttle polish, but unless your mod is popular it seems
steam will not help you out anytime soon :(

Jeff