-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Spektre
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:06 PM
To: hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlcoders] Help with figuring out NPC movement...

Matt wrote:

>If anyone could help with a brief walk through of the code or some sample
>code on how to changes things in that general area or even a good place to
>go to find out more info, that would be incredibly helpful.

I'm not a coder, but from a level designer's standpoint and a gameplay
standpoint, I've pushed the AI about as far as it will go without
reprogramming it. I'll share a little bit of what I've learned here, in
the hopes that it will help you with your goal.
 I've found it's pretty easy to get the NPCs to jump down from an
object, but getting them to jump up to something is another thing
entirely. You'll probably want to have a look at how the fast zombies
navigate, to get an idea at how they work. They use the jump paths
calculated off the info_node graph to determine where they're allowed to
jump from/to. The NPCs, just like the player, will step over an object
up to 18 units high. They don't know how to jump onto an object higher
than that, really (other than the exception of the fast zombie).
 I've found that the moveprobe is an excellent tool to see how the AI's
navigation routines work. You'll wanna play with it a bit in-game to
figure it out. Also. The AI requires hint nodes with the "Override Jump
Permission" type to allow any NPC other than the fast zombies to jump
from one height level down to another.
That's about the extent of my knowledge. Check the fast zombies.
Talia