When you say, "In hl2dm, it's smooth regardless of the "smoothstairs"
setting." It sounds like you misunderstand what I'm trying to say.

HL2DM is running the code from episode 1 that I pasted below.
smoothstairs is already disabled when you're on an elevator in HL2DM -
so testing HL2DM isn't going to prove whether this change is the fix or
not - you have to test a mod based on the current SDK code release.