It seems that fix only comes into play when getting an attachment from
the local weapon.  My problem is elsewhere as it happens during all
animations.  Is anyone else experiencing my problem?  I suppose I should
create a new base sdk mod and see if it happens there too to make sure
it's not something I've broken, but I know it's not occurring in the
HL2DM sdk.

Yahn Bernier wrote:
There is another bug fix which will go into the Orange Box version of
the SDK related to the view models "replaying" part of their previous
animation.  (And there are a few other fixes which explain why
cl_showerror is overly spammy on m_nTickBase/m_vecOrigin errors for the
local player).

It's due to the interaction of the sequence blending code with the
networking and prediction systems. To fix, we had to make the following
change (new code in red) in c_baseanimating.cpp:

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
// Purpose: if the active sequence changes, keep track of the previous
ones and decay them based on their decay rate
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
void C_BaseAnimating::MaintainSequenceTransitions( CStudioHdr *hdr,
float flCycle, float flPoseParameter[], Vector pos[], Quaternion q[],
int boneMask )
{
        VPROF( "C_BaseAnimating::MaintainSequenceTransitions" );

        if ( !hdr )
                return;

        if ( prediction->InPrediction() )
        {
                m_nPrevNewSequenceParity = m_nNewSequenceParity;
                return;
        }

Give that a try and see if it fixes your issue

(You'll need to include "prediction.h" in the .cpp file, too)