By "map" I presume you mean "texture". Have you tried making the
material a WorldVertexTransition and specifying a completely transparent
$basetexture2?

Adam Donovan wrote:

Hi All,

I am have quite a bit of
trouble getting detail sprites or detail models to appear correctly as the
developer wiki stats they should.  I have
made a simple map that has a range of alpha values from 0 though to 1. I also
have
created a custom vbsp file for the test of just one sprite that is meant to be
generated on the 0.3 alpha value of my WorldVertexTransition texture.  When I
compile this map I always see my 1
detail sprite generated over the whole map.

1.  The map clearly has
alpha ranges all the way from 0 though to 1

2.  The sprite does show
in game

3.  The sprite is generated
everywhere(this is not what I want)

The sprite should only show up in a certain area of the map on the alpha
value of 0.3 and this is clearly not happening.

My gameinfo.txt is set to the following

SteamAppId   215

ToolsAppId     211

Does anyone have a clue with what is
going on with this error?  It used to
work pre orange box release in older mods and I have no idea why it doesn’t work
anymore.

Thanks everyone

Adam
Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au