I'm sure Valve have learned to ignore 95% of the criticism they receive and
treat the other 5% with mild indifference as they have been successful thus
far.  The SDK is still far more than enough to make mods, a few bugs here
and there won't hold every single mod back.  Hell the fact that people can
access the OB SDK at all without having to purchase the Orange Box itself is
a testimant to the fact Valve does care.  How many people had to completely
upgrade from UT2k3 to UT2k4 just to play mods that had moved over to the 2k4
engine?

This entire topic devolved from a fix put out to aid in Linux builds, but
all the files there, as best as I can tell, were already available so it's
not like you couldn't have fixed it yourself.  How many companies let you do
that without being a "client" ?