Well I have this:
void CHL2MP_Player::PickDefaultSpawnTeam( void )
{
    if ( GetTeamNumber() == 0 )
    {
        if ( HL2MPRules()->IsTeamplay() == false )
        {
            if ( GetModelPtr() == NULL )
            {
                const char *szModelName = NULL;
                szModelName = engine->GetClientConVarValue(
engine->IndexOfEdict( edict() ), "cl_playermodel" );

                if ( ValidatePlayerModel( szModelName ) == false )
                {
                    char szReturnString[512];

                    Q_snprintf( szReturnString, sizeof (szReturnString
), "cl_playermodel models/combine_soldier.mdl\n" );
                    engine->ClientCommand ( edict(), szReturnString );
                }

                ChangeTeam( TEAM_SPECTATOR );
            }
        }
        else if ( HL2MPRules()->IsTeamplay() == true )
        {
            if ( GetModelPtr() == NULL )
            {
                ChangeTeam( TEAM_SPECTATOR );
            }
        }
    }
}

this makes it choose the spectator team as the default on connect.
hope that helps!