I've been looking into this for a while, but I'm still new.

I'm trying to create a checkpoint system, where the player cannot
activate the next checkpoint until they get the current one (ex: have to
get checkpoint 1 before you can get checkpoint 2).

I created a map entity, and using trigger_multiple as a base for my
checkpoint trigger, I'm trying to find a place to put a variable that
contains the previous checkpoint that they grabbed, and a method to
trigger it in the first place. Since this is a multiplayer mod, I expect
each player instance to have their own checkpoint status variable.