Has anyone gotten Hammer to run outside of the SDK? If so, you can use a
Game Profile in the ATI Tray Tools, and launch hammer from that with the
specific thing fixed. Then only model browser is broken, and you don't
exactly need the text there.

However, I'm unable to test this. Hammer crashes if I have the ATI Tray
Tools open. (Yet enabling the setting and closing works)