Nor do I then in my own mods, the _english.txt works fine for me, isn't
gameinfo_path the mod directory?
Anyway I've tried to help him on the Steam coding forums already and
referred him to try here.

Would it be an option to make a new testmod and test out if you can get
the file working there? Maybe'll you get closer to a solution.
Could mounted appId's cause a problem when the SDK Base(Orange Box) is
not being mounted?