Mike Durand introduced himself as a new employee at Valve, that's hired to
focus on the Source SDK, and updating it.
I quote "My full time job is to make sure that you have everything they need
to build your games."

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:13:13 -0700
From: "Mike Durand" <mdur...@valvesoftware.com>
To: <hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com>
Subject: [hlcoders] Upcoming SDK Release

Given the recent traffic on the list, it seems like a good time to
introduce myself to everyone here, and talk about what I do at Valve.

I started work here in June and have been given the task of working
directly with the MOD community. This means that my primary
responsibilities are to package and release the SDK, make it easier to
use, and work with MOD makers on problems that they can't solve with the
help of other members of the community.

My full time job is to make sure that you have everything they need to
build your games. I'll be hanging out on this list, as well as the VDC,
but you can also feel free to contact me directly with any questions you
have at mdur...@valvesoftware.com.

So now that the introduction is out of the way here's the part that you
really care about: an SDK update is coming out very soon. Right now we
are testing it in-house and getting ready for its beta release. It will
be available later this week unless we encounter serious problems during
testing. I'll let people know either way, whether it is going to be this
week or next. Once I get all of the details together, I'll send the info
on what is coming in this SDK release to this list.

-Mike

That's four years ago. It pretty much went down hill since the Orange Box
code was released. I remember in 2003 when Gabe Newell promoted Steam in
several different interviews, saying how Steam would make publishing updates
to the end user way easier for them, yes its easier for them, but over the
years its just getting harder and harder for us working with the Source SDK.

I see a lot of people ditching the Source Engine over the UDK, and I'm
starting to see why. I'm a big fan of Valve games, and I've defended the
Source SDK and the Source engine many times.

I didn't really recognize too much in the articles that's popped up lately,
such as these, and honestly I was a little offended.

http://www.halflife2.net/2010/08/16/sdk-soul-destroying-kit/
http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/valve-you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourselves/

Yeah we're getting the SDK for free, and the tools are great to work with.
Except for one little thing. Most of them don't work properly. I love how
they're still using command line apps, so e.g. I can call my compile scripts
directly from context menus.

What I really miss is not having to spend 10 minutes on making the SDK or
tools run before I can actually test whatever I've changed or made.

I'm setting the bar low, and not expecting any response from anyone at
Valve, that way I won't be more disappointed.

I guess I just needed to get it off my chest.

I hope to hear from other people on this list, that feels the same way, or
want to share their opinion on this matter. For those that find it annoying
to receive these kind of messages, feel free to mute the conversation.

- ScarT