Yes, the server will spew to the console and log something like this:

Your server needs to be restarted in order to receive the latest update.

If ever see that in your console then run the hldsupdatetool again. If
you still see that after running the tool delete the clientregistry.blob
file and run it again.

The above message has been reported by servers for the last couple of
years, you shouldn't have seen it recently.

- Alfred