We just got hit by this guy..

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of John
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:46 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds] ST3Gaming.com using100mbit connection to DoS rival
servers

You mean an ACL.

Routing is destination-based. A null-route would send traffic _to_ that
attacking IP to the "null" device, but it wouldn't prevent incoming traffic
_from_ that IP from coming to him over the pipe.  He could ask for a
null-route of his server IP to keep traffic off the circuit, but it doesn't
sound like that's what he's looking for.

Some NSPs/ISPs won't apply ACLs, but will apply null-routes (to your IPs
only). The better ones will do both.

You are right that he should talk to his provider about this, and hope that
his provider will be willing to throw up an ACL. Blocking an attack that
floods the circuit is entirely in their hands.

-John