First off the error we are getting even on a totally clean
install is:
Error
Could not load library matchmaking
OK

This is because the server is never looking in the right
place for the dll i.e. <currentdir>/left4dead2/bin

We've been chasing this since for a few days now and have
finally tracked it down to the location on the disk.

I know this doesn't make any sense at all, but seems like
recent updates contains some code which looks at the install
path and does something conditionally based on this which
causes it to fail to load the matchmaking DLL.

Failure case:
C:\games\hl2ds\left4dead
srcds.exe  -console -game left4dead2 +map c5m1_waterfront

Success case:
C:\games\al2ds\left4dead
srcds.exe  -console -game left4dead2 +map c5m1_waterfront

It seems that if one of the path elements starts with hl2
then the server breaks. I can only guess that there is
shared code between l4d2 and another mod which is now
determining which version of the code it should use based
on its location, which is a REALLY bad idea.

Hopefully this can be fixed ASAP as all our servers are
currently down due to this issue :(

Now some might suggest to relocate the install but not only
is this a major undertaking but we don't know what other
effects this might have on say TF2 so not an option
unfortunately.

    Regards
    Steve

This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the
person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the
recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise
disseminating it or any information contained in it.

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmas...@multiplay.co.uk.