I've been through Steam Tech Support, the Steam forums, and here once, although apparently, the post didn't go through... So in desperation, I come to you (again).

Many of us, who have been hosting Goldsrc HLDS servers for years, have become unable to make our servers appear on the server browser for the past couple of months. Some others have reported this as far back as HLDS 4382.

In a rather desperate experiment, we noticed that ye ancient 4382 build does register a master server, though only while one is not running Steam on the same system. Otherwise, it behaves much like the more recent 5408 build, and fails to register on the master servers at all.

Any ideas on how to get an HLDS working under the modern build to show up on the master servers while Steam is present on the same system, as it once did?