Do I need to re-register my steampipe TF2 server for quickplay, after updating from a hlds version? Or can I use the quickplay account from my previous (identical) hlds install of TF2?

Reason I ask is that I have had a steampipe version of a (previously) popular server which had a fair amount of quickplay traffic, but since moving to steampipe the player numbers have fallen dramatically. Today, as an experiment, I re-enabled the pre-steampipe (hlds) version of the server and player numbers immediately picked up. So it seems to me there must be something wrong with my steampipe/quickplay setup, even though all the setup of the server is identical to the previous hlds install.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue to me?