Several server operators have requested the ability to know how their clients
are connecting to their server.  The latest TF update added a new client
convar, cl_connectmethod, that contains a string value that indicates how the
client connected to your server.  It's sent in the same way as cl_rate and
others, and a plugin should be able to access this information.  It will be
empty if joined directly through a console "connect" command.  I apologize that
I don't have the list of values at hand, but I'm sure some helpful server
operator or plugin author will post the list of codes that are sent.

Please be aware that the field is not secure, and the work required to secure
it is not trivial.  Without too much effort a client could send you pretty much
any string they want.  So this is best used for general reporting purposes and
understanding where your players are coming from, not to treat players
differently based on how they connect.

This is a Source engine change, so it will be available in CS:S, DoD:S, and
HL2:DM in the next update for those games.