A lot of us just use sourcemod to manage admins and we use direct ssh to server (or rpc and whatnot if you are on windows) and access the server console if we need to do so. I've ran gameservers nearly 10 years and haven't used rcon that much, ever. However, i do have rcon set and it's not that big deal. Like you said, many things such as SB and stats use rcon.

-ics

Kevin C kirjoitti:
Sourcemods RCON has limitations. Try getting a full status output with sm_rcon, or anything that returns a lot of information.

External plugins or logging tools(HLStats, GameME, Sourcebans) also require RCON.