Locked accounts can still view their GSLTs (as far as I know), and when an
account is unlocked they aren't reset. That doesn't really corroborate the
idea that it's for security reasons, and not just out of laziness on
Valve's part.

Blocking the viewing of GSLTs for a locked account is perfectly reasonable,
however.