I've also been patiently waiting for the fabled Toolchain Update (SDK2013
Edition) for a fair while. I believe it was back in February 2017 that the
initial announcement email was sent out, which promised that TF2 would get
the Toolchain Update first (it did), and that SDK2013 would subsequently be
updated in the same manner "in the near future". Alas, it's been almost a
year now, and the SDK2013 part of the Toolchain Update seems to have been
lost in Valve Time.

I strongly echo the sentiment from the OP regarding security fixes. But it
would also just be super nice to have SDK source code and binaries that are
just generally synced up with the TF2 branch, rather than >2 years out of
date.

Plus, the more time that passes, the more the old build tool versions get
annoying: for example, nowadays, VS2017 provides an easy installer option
to add the v140 toolset (VS2015 build tools), and installing it takes up
minimal disk space; but keeping around the v120 toolset (VS2013 build
tools), which is still necessary for SDK2013, means keeping VS2013 fully
installed forever, even if you use VS2017 as your frontend and never use
any of VS2013's old IDE crap, because there's no way to do a standalone
installation of the v120 toolset.

Regarding the update to the SDK2013 binaries that was pushed out back in
June 2017: it had some small feature changes (Steam Voice etc) and security
fixes, but from what I can tell it wasn't anything remotely resembling a
full sync-up with the TF2 branch. And it definitely wasn't anything like
"the binary half of the Toolchain Update": both before and after that
patch, the SDK2013 binaries indicate having been compiled with VS2013 / GCC
4.6.1 (not VS2015 / GCC 4.8.1, as is the case with TF2 since its Toolchain
Update).

So, in summary... we're still waiting on this. Both a source code update on
the GitHub repo and a binary push via the Steam depots.

I'm CC'ing Jill from Valve on this email; I know you're undoubtably busy
with other things, but we'd really appreciate a status update, if you could
give us one.

Justin (sigsegv)