I've been doing this for years with custom maps:
* Compile the map as usual.
* Create a map-specific CFG file for it (i.e. same basefile name as the
BSP + .cfg).
* Use the lump-editor in VIDE or similar utility to embed the .CFG file
into the .BSP in the /cfg virtual folder.
* Basically the same process as embedding map-specific .TXT files,
materials/textures (.VMTs and .VTFs, custom sound files, etc.

However, I noticed today that when I fired-up TF2 to do a test-run of a new
map, that it said (at runtime) that it couldn't find the map-specific CFG
file?  Sure enough, none of the settings I normally include in that
map-specific CFG file were being set (such as tf_allow_player_use 1).

Not sure when this started, but I did verify that the .CFG file *IS*
definitely included in the .BSP file.  I am not having other issues with
custom textures/materials and/or sounds.  They are all displaying and
playing correctly.

So, I went back and ran some other maps I have compiled and distributed
previously, and had been working, and noticed they are now exhibiting the
same symptom.

Did Valve make some change to how it finds/executes map-specific CFG files?
RECENTLY?

I am not sure when this symptom first started.
But, I just noticed it TODAY.

Anybody else having / noticed similar issues?

Thanks!

--
------------------------------

+------------------------------+