If I recall correctly, Valve are investigating other browsers as they don't
like some parts of the embedded IE (there's a forum post somewhere).  I
think part of the issue was finding one with enough embedding functionality
that's also lightweight from an install point of view (considering it needs
to stand apart from whatever browsers you have installed - unlike with IE,
they can't make assumptions about it being installed).

Surely the people smart enough to use an alternative browser* are also smart
enough to keep their system up to date?

* Or people like me - I'm one of those odd people who has Opera, Firefox
etc. installed but uses IE by choice, on windows anyway.  Yes, we do exist.