In my experience, Steam updates on Linux are not stable enough to let
it auto-update.  Steam skips a package if it doesn't manage to download
said package in so many tries.  I've had it happen far too often on TF2
where it will update one package but skip another, leaving the server in
an inconsistent (crashing) state.

This may not be as large a problem for L4D2 because it only has 3
packages, 1 of which is rarely updated... but TF2 only has 6 packages, 3
of which are rarely updated and it often skips the Team Fortress 2
Content package but updates Materials and Dedicated Server.