From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Molina
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:18 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Valve TF2 servers no longer have quickplay advantage

I had set up a quickplay server from scratch recently.

The following is conjecture and not fact.  Confirmation or denial from
those with authoritative information would be appreciated:

I am under the impression that Valve starts you off with an abnormally
high score, and you have nowhere to go but down from there.

Therefore, starting your new server off with a good status and trending
"downwards fast" is perfectly normal.  You should level off at some
point before you get to a less-than-good ranking.

Valve just needs to make the log message be more happy-talky for the
inexperienced admins who take things literally and freak out.

I've never seen anything in my console logs other than "Downward Fast"
and "Slightly Upward".  Actually, my server just cycles between the two.

Here's a little logging from my system.  This is pretty much what my
server does all day;

jmomo@parts-->egrep "Game server auth" tf/console.log | cut -f 2 -d \!
  Standing: Good. Trend: Downward Fast
  Standing: Good. Trend: Downward Fast
[...]