From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Fletcher Dunn
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:50 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Win32
Subject: Re: [hlds] [hlds_linux] STEAMAUTH: Client PLAYERNAME received failure
code 6

We've had a hard time fixing this for several reasons.  First, we've never been
able to reproduce this.  Second, the issue is confounded by the fact that
client crashes can often produce this.  The last round of reports we got for
this problem seemed to always be muddled by client crashes --- which can
definitely happen in large batches, BTW, depending on the bug.  We never got a
good set of reports that weren't muddled by client crashes.  For Orangebox, we
recently (within the last month) made a change that would try to distinguish
between a true client auth problem, and a client crash, so hopefully that
confounding factor can be separated.  (And we hope that the past week or so has
seen a good increase in stability.)

We believe you that this bug still exists, and we do want to fix it.

If I could beg the patience of the server operators, and once more solicit
detailed reports of this problem.  We will once again try to examine those
reports and fix it.  I'll try to do a better job staying on top of this issue
and keeping people informed about what we're doing, so we can close this bug.

Here's what is needed in order for us to investigate this:
* The time of the event.  Please remember to provide your local time zone, so
we can correlate any timestamps in your logs to timestamps in our logs.
* Logs:
        - The complete server log.  Please don't trim the log, just send the
whole thing.  The login info can be useful, and perhaps other events that
occurred previously.
        - The complete console transcript.  If you are experiencing this
problem and are not configured to capture the console output, please do so.
        - Make sure we can easily locate the portion of the logs corresponding
to the event.  (Timestamps should be sufficient, but they typically are not
present for the console transcript.)
* We'd greatly prefer to get the complete logs.  But if this is not possible,
and you are certain you have a good example, the bare minimum we'll need is:
        - Public IP address of your server.  (For TF2 servers, this is output
at near the time when you server logs onto Steam, in case you don't know it.)
        - Steam ID's of the players who dropped.
* If you have multiple examples, please just pick one and send it.  If you have
one really clear case where you are pretty sure the clients didn't crash, it
will hopefully be enough to help us fix this problem.

We do care about this problem and want to fix it.  I'm sorry the issue has
lingered.

Feel free to send these directly to my email address.  (Please zip up the big
logs.)

One last thing: on December 6th, 2011, from about 3PM - 10PM US Pacific time,
there was a known problem in our backend that might have manifested in issues
like this.  It has been fixed.  Please don't send any examples near this time
interval.

- Fletch