I guess one way Valve could solve this would be to change the way "status" works on the client. They could have the server send server-state information to the clients at some interval, like once per second, or perhaps each time something changes (player joins or leaves, map changes, etc.) and then have the "status" command on the client just read its most recent data. That would prevent status requests from hitting the server at all. It adds some overhead compared to the real-time request/reply method, but it eliminates the need to process each status request that comes in.

Or, if the incoming "status" packets are always the same size, you could also use iptables to rate-limit them (just replace N with the packet size in bytes):

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m length --length N -m limit --limit 3/s -j ACCEPT

(Note: I didn't test this iptables rule, I just slapped it together as a demonstration)

    - Dave